Good News...


The drug induced haze has ended! My apologies to those of you who I called after surgery leaving indecipherable messages on your machines! Rumor has it, I did and said a lot of interesting things in the first 24 hours post op. Fortunately, my surgery went well and although we are still awaiting the path report, my doctor believes there will be good news all around.

It feels good to be home. Those of you who know us well, know that Kyle gets a little weak in the knees with anything related to blood or sickness. I was a little concerned about how he would be during the recovery phase but he’s been amazing. He’s done it all…even the things he once told me he would hire someone else to do. :)

We are having typical spring weather in TN! Last night I awoke to cracks of lightening and the rumble of thunder. From our bed, we peer straight out the window and into the sky. Our central air has been grumbling and protesting for the past couple weeks and we are unable to keep the house cool. Because of this, our bedroom window was wide open during the intense storm last night. No, nobody got wet but in addition to the spectacular sights of the fierce storm, we were also blanketed with the sweet smell of rain.

Earlier in the evening the power went out for a few short minutes. As I snuggled deeper into the couch I said to Kyle, “ooh, I love it when this happens!”. There’s something so warm and inviting about a storm raging outside as we’re tucked away safe and sound in our home. It’s wonderful to have all possible distractions eliminated and to have no other agenda other then each other; even better-- each other by the canopy of candlelight. It makes me wonder why we don’t ‘turn it all off’ every now and then. Why wait for the thunder and lightening to render us ‘powerless’ when we could have candlelight at our finger tips? Apathy? Maybe. But maybe somewhere inside, we crave the storm just a little knowing that good things await.

I mention the weather because it aptly describes where we’re at right now. There’s a newness and a freshness of life lingering in the air. It seems the winter months became stagnant and somewhat monotonous as they slowly drifted by. Gradually, without our awareness, the stagnant way of life seeped into our beings. We've been living in that place where we seem to drag our feet, we keep our eyes fixed on the ground ahead of us, and each day comes and goes as expected. We forget that to simply wake and greet the day is a gift in and of itself. We pay little attention to the details of living. The wonder of life (and of the precious people in it) loses it's sparkle.

Then comes the crack of lightening and the rumble of thunder. The power goes out. We stare into the sky and marvel at the power of the elements--and more importantly, the power of God. We see the glow of one another beheld in a soft cloak of candlelight, we listen, and we inhale the sweet, fresh scent of the rain.
New life after the storm.

Keep the windows open.
Good things await.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Your thoughts were refreshing. I will look for times to "turn it all off" and light a candle, for myself and for my marriage. Your strength and positive attitude is a testimony to your faith. I enjoyed our talk the other day. You make my life sweeter. Good things await...I am still praying for PA. :)
    megan said...
    I'm praying, too. :)
    Love you so much! Can hardly wait for August!

Post a Comment