Who needs kids when you have Oliver?

About two weeks ago Kyle's favorite dog and most beloved pet, began to snort and choke anytime he got the least bit excited. At first I was alarmed. I jumped to my feet ready to come to his rescue. Airway obstruction?! I wondered if he'd finally managed to swallow the right combination on inedible objects to be the death of him. If you could see all of the things our dog has managed to digest in his short life, it's a wonder we haven't had to do canine CPR a long time ago. Recovery, on this particular day, came a few short minutes later. After a few days of more of the same, Oliver's new found habits turned from alarming to annoying. He'd circle around our feet carrying on in such a way that it stopped conversation dead in it's tracks. I have been told he might have allergies and that over the counter benadryl is often effective. So we tried it. No such luck...still snorting. A bit more sedated, which has its own perks but the breathing issues remain. Around the same time the snorting started, Oliver also started to lick his paws incessantly. Yesterday I came home and he was hobbling all over the house on three paws. He's about licked one of his paws raw. Lovely. So tonight I must wrap his paw. And give him his benadryl. And keep him calm as to prevent the snorting cycles. And, yes, we will be going to see the vet before he manages to chew off any more appendages.

Come home soon, husband!

4 Comments:

  1. Marcia Melton said...
    Seriously, I think your dog is MORE work than my baby girl! :) But I do hope that he is well soon. I know how much you worry about him. Love you!
    Anonymous said...
    Megan...I was commenting to Kyle a while back how amazing of a writer you are. I honestly never knew that you had it in you. This story had me cracking up. Hope to see you guys this weekend.
    Allison said...
    Megs,
    I agree with Marcia, and since we have two dogs, I can promise you that sometimes they are MORE work then Natalie. Give Oliver a treat from me...love you!
    Allison
    megan said...
    thanks for the notes friends! Oliver is still 'not quite right'... but, really, will he ever be?! :)

    john--thanks for that. I've always loved to write-it's a release for me. We are definitely looking forward to seeing you and the fam this weekend. Hmmm, and I believe someone has a birthday coming up?? take care-and keep the beverages in the fridge cool for me. :) cheers!

Post a Comment