I'm reading a book right now entitled Hebron Journal, by Art Gish. It was recommended to me by our friend, Paul, who is presently volunteering with Peace Brigades International. The men and women in such groups are trained to go into areas of intense conflict to provide peaceful accompaniment/presence to those who are threatened as they try to carry out humanitarian efforts or to those who are oppressed; simply trying to go about their daily lives.

Art Gish writes that those in his team stand on the side of whomever the gun is pointed at. I'm discovering that sometimes this is literally true. This type of presence involves intense relationships with all sides of the conflict. They work with both Israeli's and Palestinian's.

I know even as I write this, using words like nonviolent peacemaking-stirs something in people's souls. I'm guessing that many people might not even read another word because it doesn't bode well with them. It's true that the author's insights are at times different then my own, and in my opionion, this is all the more reason to read!! I'm curious. I want to know what he has to say, afterall, here was there, on the streets, in the middle of intense conflict, putting his life on the line. Here in lies the whole point of the book: Listen. Lay it all aside and take it in, digest it.

There is much I do not understand. I confess almost total ignorance with regards to the complicated conflict that takes place in these specific regions. But one day recently, I asked Paul if he would recommend a book that I could read to 'open my eyes' and this is the book he suggested. He said he relates to many things the author describes...which is sobering and heart breaking to say the least.

Art begins his book by writing:
...When we engage in serious dialogue across the lines of culture, gender, class, race, and religion, our whole beings are challenged. As we listen to each other and engage in deep conversation with those who are different from us, we have to either grow or retreat. When this happens in the context of putting our very lives on the line, the possibilities for growth are greatly increased. With all the conflicts everywhere around us, the opportunities for engagement are everywhere. We can retreat and put up walls of defense, or we can engage in difficult conversation and struggle with those who are called our enemies, with those who are different. To engage in the struggle, armed only with faith, hope and love, is a wonderful opportunity. It is too good to turn down.

This world is not so big. Opportunities for engagement happen every day to varying degrees no matter where you live. I can't imagine standing in front of someone knowing I may bear the bullet that was intended for them. I can't imagine hearing gunshots and fighting and running into the heart of the conflict. I can't imagine initiating conversation with someone who is hot with anger and rage. And yet, people do this very thing every day. They go to prison; people spit in their face; they are called every kind of obscinity.

I'm not paul and it is probably most unlikely that I will ever find myself in similar shoes but his testimony and that of this book challenges me to listen. To ask questions; to seek understanding. I'm beginning to see why the news is littered with stories about Palestinian suicide bombers; I also am beginning to understand the sufferings of the Israeli settlers. Both sides are wounded which is something we all know a thing or two about.

What makes me bristle? Who is difficult to love? Wounded people exist within my community; my church; my family. It's just a reminder to listen and to engage. To 'put on love'.

I can't imagine that Paul will ever read this but if you do, please pray for him.

1 Comment:

  1. Rebecca said...
    Megan, your words are so touching...so moving. I just sit here and cry for your patients. They are so blessed to have someone like you at this time in their lives. Someone like you with so much love and empathy. Someone like you who will tell their story to others so that we may learn more about our own walk with Christ.

    I think you really nailed it for all of us. No matter what we are going through, even when it feels like we are all alone....we are not. Jesus is crying with us, hurting with us and at the end of the day, it's OK to let it all go.

    thank you for sharing

Post a Comment