One day recently I found myself watching Oprah when Fastasia was a guest. I absolutely love this girl and at the end of the show she sang "I'm here" from the Color Purple. I read the book, I saw the movie...and it resonated in so many ways but nothing compared to how I felt when I watched this performance. There I sat, all alone on my couch, glued to the TV, and as she got to those last few lines of the song, there I was, crying right along with her. I wonder if it's the same in living rooms all around the country...or if there's something wrong with me? ;) Anyway, I loved it so much that I went straight from the couch to my computer, to do a search about taking a trip to New York while she's still performing.

My good friend Luke, who also wants to be a black, soul singing, hip shakin powerhouse, listened graciously as I shared my cathartic Oprah experience. He ever so kindly put her performance on his blog so that I could get a little fix every now and then. (you're the best, Luka!) He was over last night doing laundry and we watched her -- while I cried, yet again. :) Admit it Luke, you were holding back tears--I could see it!! And while I completely love the rendition he has posted, I found my Oprah moment today and decided to share it too. If you get a chance to hop over to his blog click on a tab at the top that has something about performances on it...that will take you to many more listening treasures.

I'm serious about the trip. I think I might do whatever is necessary to get there. Kyle's in, even though I don't think he's quite as desperate to see the Color Purple on Broadway as I am. He's always a good sport! Marcia? Jacs? Luke? Any other broadway lovers? Allison, this obviously excludes you since you fast forward through the songs of every musical we've ever watched together. ;)

4 Comments:

  1. Marcia Melton said...
    I already told you I'm in! Just tell me when and I'll book my tickets! And no, you are not the only one... yesterday I was crying while I watched 'Without a Trace' reruns and a father was reunited with his young son who had been abducted two years before. At least yours was something that happened in real life! :)
    Allison said...
    Now that I've married Chris, I like musicals even less. His family really does randomly break out in song and dance all at once. I keep looking for the fast foward button, or the mute, but alas there is no such remote for people. Maybe someday...
    Anonymous said...
    Um, thanks for outing the black woman that lives inside me.

    I'm already in debt up to my eyeballs, so what's another little bit for some Color Purple? Just tell me when, although I'll probably have to drive the hybrid and meet you there, and then sleep in my car (which is pretty safe in NYC right?).

    p.s. I was still in too much of a goosebump hangover from Martina and Kelly singing Reba to cry at Fantasia. I like how I just referred to them all by first names like we're BFF.
    J & J + 1 said...
    Hey, I could totally be in! AND, if you're looking for another option, it's actually playing in Chicago until the end of September... so hot that it was recently extended! It's not Fantasia, but it is one hell of a cast.

    Keep me posted! --Jacs

    P.S. I had to laugh whn reading Allison's comment... she would HATE me! ;)

Post a Comment