Last week I read by way of email, those dreaded words, “she found a lump”. I filed the words away because some things just can’t be true. My brother informed me that last Friday was the date of the lumpectomy, including a biopsy of her lymph nodes. Again, I couldn’t bring myself to call. No news is good news, right?

Growing up Chris and I, became permanent extensions of this family. We spent our weekdays, holidays, vacations, and sick days under her roof. She had 4 kids of her own-all older than us. They were my idols growing up…I permed my hair to look like theirs, I did my bangs big and stiff just like theirs…I memorized lyrics to the songs they loved. It was fun to be with them-and somehow they always seemed to make room for us.

She delighted in us: in all of her ‘kids’. She’s the kind of person who cries at commercials; or at a simple homemade card. She’s a person who always put herself last-and never complains. Laughter always comes easy. She makes a big deal out of seemingly little achievements. I remember, at 14 years old, standing at the top of her stairs after I found out my grandma died. I had that shell shocked sort of look-even though it was anything but a surprise. My grandma was my best friend but I wanted so badly to appear okay. That day, she did all kinds of little things to make me feel special. She knew what I needed when my heart was sad. Sick days? Throwing up? Strep Throat? All of those illnesses were remedied in part, on her couch.

Today, I bit the bullet and picked up the phone. I knew it would be okay-it had to be. And much to my relief, the news was good: the cancer is not in her lymph nodes and the surgery removed the mass, whole. She’s about to start radiation and hormone therapy but I have a feeling she’ll walk through it with the same grace she’s known for.

It had been a long time since we talked; too long when it comes to someone who means so much. And when I hung up the phone I realized there was so much I didn’t say. So this is for you, Nancy-for your heart, your strength, your tenderness and your courage.
We love you!!

5 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi,Megan
    How beautiful!You made me and mom cry.
    Julie
    megan said...
    it's true. every word. :)

    miss you guys!!
    Anonymous said...
    Hey Megan. Concerning your last paragraph - I think that’s just it . . . we all know individually that we need to share our faith and lives with those who don’t know Jesus. But it’s hard to go it alone. Let’s do it together . . . makes a lot more sense, is a lot more fun and it really is what fuels a movement.
    Anonymous said...
    Megs,

    It is so good to here you doing well. I miss you bunchies and bunchies and think of you often. House hunting is so fun. Since I got back from ethiopia, I have been house hunting. I am in the process of buying my very first home. I close on April 11. It's not a big deal, but it is a cute little house that I am excited to be able to make it my own.

    Please don't stop talking and writing about your faith. It is really wonderful and helps people like me who aren't always so open about their faith. (You know me....I have issues :)!

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    Love always,
    Morgs
    megan said...
    morgan. wow, I miss you. a huge congrats on the house! :) The best thing about moving in to a new place, is filling the space with bits of 'you' and making it home. I'm going to hope that someday I get to see it with my own two eyes. ;) I'll keep you in my thoughts on the 11th. Make sure you go out to celebrate! Cheers!

    and if there's one thing I can assure you, we all have issues. mine may just lie hidden between the lines. :)

    love you and miss you like crazy. please keep in touch!
    megs

Post a Comment