Sissy and I : Celebration of Life

So, I've been out of the loop for a while! My goodness, have things been busy!! I know I'm disconnected when I get phone calls checking to see if we're still breathing...or, just as amusing, threatening our lives if we don't call back. The latter approach has proved to bring about the quickest turn around time. :)

Let's see...updates. Home improvement projects have been kicking our butts. We have found lots of little things to update before tackling the big stuff--like landscaping the side of the house. It never fails that the seemingly simple, undaunting tasks turn into gigantic headaches when all is said and done. Nonetheless, it feels good to walk around and see some progress.

Last night we had our annual Celebration of Life. It's such an amazing night. Not only do we get to see families of patients that we miss but I also always find myself looking at the people I work with, feeling completely grateful for who they are. We are soooo different; seriously, in every possible way we are different. There is not one person in our team who is like the other and our differences amuse and entertain us constantly. We laughed a lot last night--the kind of laughter that stops all other conversation in a room while people turn to see what's so funny. The kind of laughter that makes people lose their fake lashes. Sooo funny. It was good to laugh; to celebrate; and to have genuine peace with the families of those patients who have passed away. Dont get me wrong, we did the ugly cry a time or two also, but as I drove home I was full of this happy sort of peace. Sissy and I were volunteered by our cohorts to get up and talk for a few minutes during the service. As is typical Meg's, I was full of nerves but thankfully, they quickly passed as I looked out into the faces in the room. It really felt like family. I told a couple of stories: one about our youngest patient from this past year and one about one of our oldest. On my left arm, I wore a bracelet made for me by the little girl. Her parents were sitting almost directly in front of the podium and it was so good to be able to look them in the eyes and tell them what a ministry they had in their home. Strongest, most amazing parents I have ever known. And that little girl? She is riding a horse in heaven, I'm certain. That's exactly where she told us she would be.

A few photos attached of my hospice ladies.

giving patty a little love


Marlene and Connie





2 Comments:

  1. Rebecca said...
    Megan, the work you do takes someone with a special heart and i think you are perfect for it. I guess until I read this post, I always pictured you working with older patients. Probably because my experience with hospice was that. When I read about you telling a story of a little girl, my heart broke. Wow....I never imagined...

    Thank you for allowing God to work through you to love on and nurture these patients, young and old. What a neat opportunity this week to celebrate those lives and the work you do!
    megan said...
    thanks becca. :) It was a really wonderful evening. I did, however, think of my ladies a bunch that night. Was it fun? I missed you guys; if only I could have done both.

    here's to hoping my beeper gives me a break tomorrow so I can come to church. miss you! megs

Post a Comment