Living your strengths.

Kyle came home one day recently and handed me a book given to him by Jim. I flipped it over a time or two trying to size it up. Being a lover of books, especially of those that claim to get inside your head, I decided to give it a go and opened up to the first page:

This is what I read:
The Gallup Organizations's 2002 national study of congregation memebers revealed that most people (53%) do not strongly agree with the statement:
"In my congregation, I regularly have the opportunity to do what I do best".


Page one and already, that one simple statement stopped me.
"in my congregation, I regularly have the opportunity to do...

Growing up, at least in my early years, there was always the small handful of do-ers...and then there was the rest of us. ;) Church was a quiet, passive place. A place to sit and to stand and to pray with your eyes closed. People didn't know my name much less care what skills or gifts I might have. And honestly, I was good with that. Personally, I didn't care much about the woman beside me either. It wouldn't have even occured to me that I should be doing something. At confession I told my sins to the priest behind a screen so that he wouldn't have to look into my dirty, sinful eyes. :) I definitely got the vibe early on that there was nothing 'megan' brought to the table in a religious or spiritual sense.
My place was on the pew.
eyes closed.
Fortunately these things changed as I grew a bit older and started to attend a different church but nonetheless, it is a reality for many.

The second part of the statment: how does what I do best apply to my "congregation"?

What does that mean exactly? I guess I define 'what I do' by my chosen career and I feel nearly 110% certain that my congregation doesn't want me sending them off to meet Jesus every weekend. (Don't read too much into that...yes, they all want to be with Him and walk the streets of gold but, let's be serious) I'd have no friends at all. The problem? I'm not even sure I know how to answer, when asked 'what is it you do best?'

I do know that I don't sing, don't teach, I'm not great with organizing events--or at least I wouldn't know for sure because I haven't ever tried. The truth is, for as much introspection as I've done I'm still a little perplexed when it comes to applying the things that make me, me, to the benefit of a church body or community. I have a good handle on my weaknesses. The things I wish I could be, do, or say.
Which, according to this book is how most everyone operates. You might agree.

So I read the first chapter and took the strengths finder tests. I was surprised. And just the fact that I was surprised, surprised me. I thumbed through the book and read about a few other strengths (the ones that I didn't get) and found myself getting jealous. Again, seeing my weaknesses in what might be another's strengths, wishing I was something 'other than' instead of me.
What is that?!

Today, after church there was a little lump of us who were standing together talking about this book and the test. It was fascinating to listen to each person talk about what their strengths were. There was a buzz; an energy to the conversation and I walked away feeling excited about all that is to come. The wind is blowing; could it be possible for each of us to truly do what we each do best? The next few chapters of this book are application; what I wonder, will that look like?

Obviously we don't take these tests to give ourselves a self righteous pat on the back. No one is interested in knowing one's strengths or skills just for the sake of knowing. Rather, the purpose of any of this--the book, the test, the conversation is to propel us out into the world, to serve others and to honor Christ with our lives and our ministry. What you do best, is different from me. And for once, I might be okay with that. ;)

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Yeah, I'm tracking with that last paragraph.

    But Dad-gum-it... I want to know what your strengths are! I read the whole article & you didn't get to the punch line!

    I think we're safe in the comments section now (where fewer people read)... what were your top 5?
    megan said...
    hey john!

    okay--here goes. I actually typed all of this out in detail yesterday and then had probs with the site. so here's the generic abbreviated version--which works since you know all of this well!!

    MY SIGNATURE THEMES:> >
    Empathy: People strong in the Empathy theme can sense the feelings of others people by imagining themselves in others' lives or others' situations.

    Input: People strong in the Input theme have a craving to know more. Often they like to collect and archive all kinds of information.
    (I completely rebelled against this until Kyle pointed out I have boxes of photos in my garage that I will never have the heart to throw away. Cards, letters, books or memoirs--any little bits of people, that help me to understand them better are my treasures).

    Connectedness: People strong in the Connectedness theme have faith in the links between all things. They believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a reason. They are often bridge builders between different cultures.

    Positivity: People strong in the Positivity theme have an enthusiasm that is contagious. They are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do.

    Intellection: People strong in the Intellection theme are characterized by their need to think and by their desire for intellectual activity. They enjoy being alone for reflection and musing. They are introspective and appreciate intellectual discussions.
    Anonymous said...
    I can really see that from what I know of you. It's a great group of complementary talents. Really cool of how those can combine & work together... with Kyle, work, time alone, etc.

    I'm struck with how your job seems to be a good fit. But I'm guessing that you probably really need the downtime from its intensity. I'll bet your Blog helps with that. I don't know though... I'm no mind reader.

    Hopefully, this is helping. It's cool when God's whispers grow stronger and we finally begin to comprehend our calling.
    megan said...
    Thanks John. After meeting with Jim this morning I almost am too full of thoughts to even know what to write or say. I'm just really excited about all of this.
    I'm grateful.

    We're praying for you and Lindsay- & Jim and Karen. You have no idea how much we appreciate you guys.
    Anonymous said...
    Girl, I need to read your blog more often! Everytime I do I remember how much I love you. And for about 3 LONG minutes, I thought that you were about to become a mother and I panicked! Then I figured out that you are babysitting....right??

    I love that book. It actually shaped my decision to go to the PhD program that I'm going into. I even applied for a job with Gallup to be a Strengths Consultant!

    I miss you and would love to catch up soon. Got any free weekends in July that I could come up to visit before I start school??

    Love you bunches!
    Sara
    megan said...
    Sara!! So good to hear from you! Thanks for leaving me a voicemail the other day--it was soooo good to hear your voice! I'm on call until Sunday so plan to hear from me then...and maybe we can plan a play date!!!! yay!

    no babies yet.
    i wonder though, at the thought of me pregnant, you panicked?! ;)
    haha.

    love you!!
    Sara Lynn Curtis said...
    Panicked in a good way- just freaked out that I could have missed something so big in your life!! Call me when you have a chance. I miss you!

Post a Comment