oh my. where to begin...

a little debriefing inside my head.

We have a patient who is sustained by a ventilator. I wrote about him before. It was understood at the time of admission that when his disease progressed to a place where he could no longer communicate by blinking his eyes, the ventilator would be turned off...his wishes, of course. Never before have we had a patient who is perfectly coherent but ventilator dependent so this is all new territory for me and for our team as I know it. I really, really like this man and it's been a little much to try and process. This week however, it's become real--decisions are being made and this is no longer abstract thoughts we can push away for some distant time. And unfortunately, it's not some lifeless body we're talking about. There's a man in there who is funny and intelligent and strong.

He's tired. He blinks to tell us he wishes to die; not when he can no longer communicate, like he initially had said, but now. What does that mean? That means his team of health care providers are ethically responsible to carry his wishes out.

I haven't really allowed myself to think about this too much because even as I type I feel this gigantic knot in my throat. I can't imagine. It's all so huge and foreign. To stand there and watch his loved ones say goodbye. I can't fathom that kind of grief. It seems the weight of the air in the room would make it impossible to stand or breathe. And what about him? It takes such courage to stay alive-trapped within the most oppressive prison. But wont it take even more courage to die? To tell us for that last and final time that it's okay...that it's time to turn the machine off?

In living rooms and bedrooms all over the tri-cities, people are saying goodbye. But this is not the same. There's nothing about this that is familiar.

To be clear for those of you who are not in the medical field. This is NOT physician assisted suicide. This is a man who would be dead if not for the artificial lungs that mechanically force breath in and out. Just like you and I must decide if we should want life support to sustain us, he made his decision. Initially he chose the ventilator and it has given him more time to be with his family. Now he is competently making a decision as to whether or not the time is right to let his body do what it tried to do a year ago.

I feel like there are so many dimensions to all of this. I could write volumes but this is about all I can stand to think about for today.

So...not the brightest most pleasant blog in the world but it's the most prevalent thing on my heart today. I'll write more soon--
and I promise to keep it light. :)

5 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    OH Megs,

    I can just feel your heart breaking. These kinds of situations are always very very, hard. Unfortunately I do not have any advice or words of wisdom to give you that will make this any easier. As always, I will keep you in my thought and prayers and also pray for this patient. I think of you often. I hope everything else in you life is going well!

    Love Always,
    Morgan
    Marcia Melton said...
    No need to keep it light - the power of your stories and your heart is real Thank you for sharing. As usual, hearing your heart makes me miss you...

    love,
    marcia
    megan said...
    Morgan! Just seeing your name pop up tonight was so good for my soul! So...here's the thing. If I'm still not pregnant come January any chance you'd be up for Ethiopia again?
    just something to think about. ;)

    Marcia-
    I'm calling you this week and we are going to nail down a weekend (maybe oct or nov?) to hang out. i miss you too. can you believe our class reunion pics?! CRAZY.
    Anonymous said...
    I hope this is the type of thing you are submitting for other hospice nurses to read as well. I'm praying for your heart to be protected during this.
    Anonymous said...
    Megs,

    Me and You Ethiopia 2008! I would love it, I was thinking of filling out my application sometime this month! ......but I would also love it if you where pregnant:)

    I know you are really busy, but if you every need or want to talk just give me a call! Miss you lots.

    Love
    Morgs

Post a Comment