back to my roots.

brats; cheesecurds; atv's; fleece; cabelas...

we've been home not quite 24 hours and yet we've managed to take in all of the above. We really are our own breed of people up here and I forget sometimes how much I love the very things that most people would ridicule. I can't tell you how amazing the cool weather feels. Dad has a stock pile of wood out back to have a bonfire this weekend--and it's the perfect weather for it.

Okay, so, we had our first family dinner last night with rhonda and her boys. They've grown up sooo much since the last time we were with them. So here's a little window into family life...
Dinner is delicious we're all jabbering away and then for whatever reason it becomes silent. I didn't really notice because I was focused on the food that was disappearing off the plate in front of me but then this one lonely voice breaks the silence with this question.

"Mom?"
"What does,
bastard,
mean???"

SILENCE.
I thought I would die.

I looked up at Rhonda.
Then over to Conner-who was waiting expectantly for an answer to his big question.
Then I glanced sideways at Kyle, which was a big mistake, because he was shoveling a forkful of food into his mouth to prevent a total outburst--which nearly got me started.
Then there was Dad, at the other end of the table, who had amusement written all over his face--but who's mind was obviously already reeling with the best way to answer the question.

The next 5 minute discussion that ensued was everything one ever wanted or needed to know about the word bastard; dad even grabbed Websters to provide a completely ridiculous definition that no 10 year old would ever understand. Rhonda answered everything perfectly--and of course got to the root of where this word was introduced to her son. I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW HILARIOUS THE WHOLE CONVERSATION WAS. Once the boys got up from the table we could not control ourselves. And again, as we crawled into bed last night we laid there and laughed some more.

It was a little bit of insight into family life.
Sometimes I forget that this is what dad is about to do all over again but last night was a perfect reminder. And the thing is, they are so ready. Bring it on!

I called Camp Ruff-n-more to check on Stinky today. (My disclaimer: I normally do not do this but because he's been sick-o I thought I should check on him). I talked to Cory and he said that Oliver was doing well. I asked if he was playing nice with others. Cory laughed and said," yeah, he's completely fine and social." "In fact", he said, "he's been entertaining us because he keeps mounting the other dogs."

WHAT???
I was completely mortified and felt like I should apologize but I have no idea where that comes from. I've seen him try this with my niece--sorry Riley--but as a general rule this is not something we have problems with. It definitely isn't learned behavior.
ha ha.

So there you have it.
We're having a good time; Oliver's getting cheap thrills at camp. We're having conversations about bastards while Stinky is putting the definition to the test.
can't wait to see what day number 2 brings!

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Did you show him my picture as part of the definition? That's my favorite "bad" word. Glad you're doing well there, although we miss you here... praying...
    megan said...
    you are crazy.

    if it comes up again, I'll be sure to pull you out. haha.

    miss you too.
    i'll write more soon--
    tonight we're hanging with mama kitty so stay tuned. ;)
    Lara said...
    oh, Megan.

    I have not read your blog for sometime. But I am all caught up. :) I miss you, and love you so much.

    I wish I were in Fondy with you, makes me a bit sad, but in a good way.

    Have a great visit.
    Lara
    p.s I will e-mail.
    Anonymous said...
    Happy birthday Megs! Wish we could be in WI with you all to celebrate, and we look forward to reading about how things went!
    mfayn said...
    hey megan,
    Jamin Rathbun linked your blog to an email newsletter he sent out from Trinity Arts. I enjoyed reading your writing so much and just wanted to tell you that!
    ~melissa neal
    megan said...
    melissa,
    thanks so much for that. ;) I peeked at jamin's news letter because I'm nosey like that and I got to see your face and read a little about you. :) We've met the most incredible people associated with Trinity Arts Center--someday, maybe we'll get to send our little ones or get to experience a class or two ourselves.
    anyway, thanks so much!
    take care!
    megan

Post a Comment